08 August 2010

Folk Fest is come and gone for another year, and once again I feel like I've skidded sideways into Sunday night just barely hanging on.

We spent fewer hours on the hill this year partly due to missing out on Thursday night and partly due to getting such late starts on our Saturday and Sunday mornings. I thought we'd make up for it a bit by getting there early today but we slept in until the blissful time of 9:30 and then by the time I baked muffins, we made breakfast, and Olivia had a nap it was well after lunch.

My overall impression of the festival this year was that while I didn't get to listen to nearly as much music as I would have liked, our total family fun level was really high. Everyone enjoyed their own thing a bit, whether it was the music or playing or stealing other people's water bottles (that one would be Olivia) and we made it through without any major meltdowns from anyone.

I think the performance I enjoyed the most was Tanya Tagag with Chris Derksen and Celina Kalluk. The two women were Inuit throat singers and the guy did sort of a beatbox backup. Throat singing is really totally funky and I'm not really sure how to describe it so...here's a video!

It was really much cooler with the three of them, rather than just her in the video. They got in all close to each other and totally swayed and moved and fed off each other. Really neat to watch.

It was great to hang out with so many friends this weekend too. We had an never ending line of friends to visit with, it seemed, and it made the weekend that much more enjoyable.

This is the part where I finish off the post with a great picture of us all standing at the top of the hill. If, of course, I hadn't forgotten my camera at home. You'll have to picture Liam with his dyke shirt (ask him about it!), me with my new pink Folky hat, and the kids each wearing their Folk T-shirts and great big smiles.

1 comments:

Tammy said...

I'm not sure I know how to picture a dyke shirt...especially on Liam?! I am glad you had a great time on the hill.

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2010 In desperate need of entertainment.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.