23 July 2005

This afternoon we received a phone call from our new neighbors (the Leddys for those not in the know) to alert us to the fact that there were police down in the parking lot. Being nosy, I went to the kitchen window, but saw only one police car with nobody in it. Since it sounded like there were gobs of police out there, I sent Liam, and then Nicholas, up to the bedroom to see what they could see (...the other side of the mountain...?). Unfortunately, all they could see was the single police car.

That wasn't good enough for me. I needed to know what was going on. At one point, I wondered if I was curious because I worried that my personal security was at risk. But no...I just wanted to find out what was happening because of a general lack of excitement in my life (Sorry Liam, nothing personal.)

Anyhow, I was suddenly struck by the idea of sending Liam down to the dumpster with some garbage, using that as a pretense to be walking around in the parking lot. I grabbed the nearest reasonably-full garbage can and pulled the bag out.

As Liam walked outside, he pointed out that if something was actually happening out there it might not be that safe for him.

"There could be shooting," he said.

I came back with "There are police out there."

"You know what police have."

"Yeah," I said "They have good aim. Go!"

So, dutiful and indulgent husband that Liam is, off he went. As I waited at the gate for him I started to feel guilty. What if something did happen? Would I be able to live with the guilt? How would I raise two children on my own if he was gone? On and on my over-emotional hormone-induced thought process went.

Then Liam was back. He shrugged and said "There's only the one car."

Hhmph. All that excitement and then guilt over nothing.

Liam had found some pieces of glass on the ground so he headed back down to the dumpster again to throw them out. Just as he headed down one set of stairs, Krista came up the other set. She was carrying the Christmas lights they were giving us and a movie they had borrowed, both of which I'd forgotten to take home last night. Within a couple of seconds, she revealed that there was no hurry to drop these items off, but she was curious to see what was going on in the parking lot.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one covering up my nosy-ness with fake reasons to be walking around the complex. I'm also glad that I'm not the only one to feel so disappointed at it turning out to be nothing at all.

2 comments:

Liam J. said...

And they all agreed it was the most boring stand-off ever.

The end.

Krista Leddy said...

Hey, I was just being a good neighbor.

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2010 In desperate need of entertainment.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.