25 October 2005

Somewhere in the frenzy of Lillian's first weeks of life and of Nicholas' first weeks of school, I have been finding the time to (slowly) read three books.

The first I'll mention is the one I'm greatly enjoying. It's entitled Woman: An Intimate Geography and is written by Natalie Angier. To be quite honest, the main reason I bought it was because when I picked it up to look at it I saw that there was an entire 19-page chapter devoted solely to breastmilk. I thought that was sort of nifty, especially seeing as I was just re-entering the world of lactation myself. I found the breastmilk chapter fascinating, and of course randomly read parts out loud to Liam wheter he really wanted to know these interesting facts or not.

I then went on to start reading the book from the beginning since that's the way they're generally meant to be enjoyed, and I have since been throuroughly impressed my Angier's work. I fully admit that I'm quite interested in the workings of the human body. In high school, biology 30 was a treat. In college, phisiology was fascinating and I didn't mind poring over my textbook for hours while caring for the then-3-month-old Nicholas. This book, however, goes well beyond simple explanations of human physiology and biology. Angier has an amusing sense of humor and an off-center way of viewing life. I've burst out loud laughing at phrases like "the great wall of Vagina" and references to overblown beliefs on penis envy. Angier's ability to examine multiple theories on the adaptations we have come to recognize as the normal functioning of the human body are refreshing and thought-provoking. I just wish I had more hours in the day to devote to reading.

I was originally going to write about the other two in this entry, but in hopes of actually posting this before the year is out I'll stop here for now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2010 In desperate need of entertainment.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.