08 September 2014

Today concluded my weekend of canning. I really enjoyed the process and creating so many different foods. I'm also excited by how much yummy food I have put away for the winter.

A lot of today was spent pickling. The sweet pickles turn out to be seriously drool-tastic, and I can't wait to crack open the pickled beets I dreamed of through the whole gardening season.




I'm not sure quite what it is about beets, but I think they're just so lovely. I adore their swirling patterns and just how very vivid their colours are.


By the end of the day, this was my new canning shelf in the basement. It's a good thing we got he basement cleaned and set up last weekend! My top shelf hold sour cherry jelly and pie filling. I think I mucked up both as they don't seem to be setting, so they'll likely be used as toppings for yogurt or other yummy things.

My middle shelf is all apples - apple sauce, caramel apple jam, apple butter, and apple pie filling.

The bottom shelf is the land of pickles. I've got zucchini dill pickles, sweet zucchini pickles, pickled beets, and sweet pickled cucumber.



Two years ago I was nervous about trying out canning for the first time, and now I'm having way more fun with it than I'd expected!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2010 In desperate need of entertainment.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.